Saturday, August 05, 2006

Chiapa de Corzo

I made another trip to a town near Tuxtla, Chiapa de Corzo. As I expected, it was beautiful. Chiapa de Corzo is the oldest town in the state of Chiapas. It was founded in the early 1500’s by the Spanish conquerors, I have read that they didn’t stay very long because of the heat. This seems plausible after spending some time there. However I beat the heat by having a little siesta under a huge tree next to an ancient church. Apparently the Spanish immediately moved on and founded San Cristobal de Los Casas up in the mountains.









Every town or city I have ever visited in Mexico has a municipal market. They are always interesting and always different. Often they are the best places to eat as I look for the places where Mexicans eat, not where tourists go. Today I gave it a miss however as the restaurants were quite close to the places selling raw meat. I am not going to go out of my way to get sick.





Cobblestone roads, brightly painted homes and lush green hills surrounding the town combine to create a very picturesque place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home