Wednesday, August 16, 2006

La Clima en Tuxtla


As all Canadians are apparently obsessed with talking about the weather*, I feel it is my duty to report on the weather in Tuxtla. Now the weather report may say that it is 31 or 33 degrees, but don’t be fooled. That may not sound very hot, but the humidity is constant and makes it feel much hotter than it is. But I survived three years in Egypt. I can handle Tuxtla.

The most fascinating aspect of the weather here is that nearly every afternoon around five or six o’clock, the storm clouds move in rapidly, the winds pick up and you begin to hear thunder and see lightning. When it rains, the sky truly opens. In fact, it seems to go from sunny to flash flood in just ten or fifteen minutes. The other day I was walking around in my neighborhood and it looked like it was about to pour. I happened to be near my favorite restaurant so I headed in for dinner. As I enjoyed a delicious dinner on the veranda, small cars were being washed down the street. I chatted briefly with the owner, paid and by the time I stepped out, the sky was sunny again and there was little indication that it had just poured. I love the predictability of the weather and the intensity of the storms. I don’t even mind the humidity.

* How to Be A Canadian by Will and Ian Ferguson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home