Sunday, November 05, 2006

Comitan, Los Lagos y San Cristobal de Los Casas

As you may know if you are one of my three regulars, I spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Comitan (and San Cristobal where I am presently writing from). Besides the fact that a change of routine is very welcome after working seemingly non-stop for three months, The places I have gone to are incredibly beautiful. Starting with Comitan, it is a picturesque little town with a downtown that is peaceful and has an ancient feel to it. This year is Comitan's 450th anniversary as a town.

The first picture is of one side of the main square, possibly the most beautiful main square I have seen anywhere in Mexico.

On Saturday I took a colectivo to get to Los Lagos (the lakes). Despite the almost non-stop rain, I was thrilled to see five of the many lakes in this area. Being a nature-lover at heart, it felt good to hike on forest paths again and to be surrounded by the sounds, smells and sights of lakes and trees.

This is Agua Tinta - I don´t know why the lake is this colour. It is not glacier-fed, that is for certain.




I got this shot by a combination of finding an obscure trail and bushwhacking (not a political term). I climbed to the top of quite a high hill, but it was pouring, so the visibility was not that great.



The next one is a picture of the main cathedral in San Cristobal. I asked several people and they decided it is just called the Cathedral. The other ones have names though, so I suspect this one does too.

The best part of my decision to visit San Cristobal today is that I arrived just as a parade was going by. Apparently it is the end of an eight day fiesta remembering some saints.


The last two shots are pictures of the floats. I may post more later this week as I took a lot of photos and it was a fascinating parade.







1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HehHem!!! Having come out of lurking over a month ago (Oct 2), you could at least adjust the "three of you" routine.
Ü

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home