Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Feria Chiapas

Having been told by many of my students that the fair is very exciting, I decided to check it out. I was expecting a fair in Mexico to be very different from a fair in Canada. In this I was disappointed. In fact I spent most of my time at the fair searching desperately for (culturally significant) differences between a fair here and the Saanich fair, for example. I was quite pleased to get a picture of a mini-roller coaster with laundry hanging to dry between the tracks. I am quite certain that I have never seen that in Canada. Another nice discovery was the carousel with a dog whose expression suggests rough treatment in a secret CIA prison. Beyond these two examples, only the food was really different. Although it was consistent in the sense that the food sold at the fair was of the fast-food and deep fried varieties.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home