Saturday, September 09, 2006

Hilarious new activity!


Although nearly dead after the football match on Friday, I joined a group of about a dozen English and Spanish teachers and we went to La Pachanga to celebrate my friend Rafa's birthday. La Pachanga is a huge palapa bar with a stage for entertainment (music, comedy or both), delicious antojitos (appetizers) and, of course, lots of cerveza. As always, we were joking and laughing constantly. Hernando inspired a lot of laughs as he was able to open beer bottles with his flip flops. We found out later that his flip flops have bottle openers built into the bottom. He informed us that they sell these flip flops only to "borrachos" (drunkards).

At one point in the evening, I told my friends that that the beer they drink (Sol) is meant for girls. I drink dark beer which I informed them is for men. Later, when someone ordered something, I said , "y una paleta por mi amigo (and a popsicle for my friend). The insults went back and forth like a verbal ping pong game. Someone pointed out that I learned Spanish so I could harass my friends. I think he might be onto something.

The highlight of the evening came later when a man showed up with some black machine with knobs, dials and two wires with handles. The next thing I knew I was holding one handle and everyone was joining hands. [DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, THESE PEOPLE ARE TRAINED EXPERTS!] Yes, the whole point was to electrocute us. We were laughing hysterically. At least once he turned the current off. Then some of us tried it individually and he tested us to see how much current we could handle. Juan told us that it is good for the heart. I added, "unless it stops'. Needless to say this crazy activity was the highlight of the evening. I believe they have a proverb in India that applies: "That which does not kill you makes you stronger." I hope this is true.

* Note that Juan is trying the electricity all by himself and I am pretending to pour beer on his hands which would increase his conductivity (I think). Yes, I tried this. Lots of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home