Sunday, September 17, 2006

Multisensory Fireworks!

Judging by the fact that the decorations started going up for Independence Day two or three weeks early, I knew it would be quite a party. I was not disappointed. If I had four hours today (I don't), I couldn't describe all the stands, vendors, musical acts, games and types of food there were in Tuxtla's Central Park for the "Grito de Dolores" (the name for cry of the people of Dolores who rose up to take up the fight with Spain for independence). I will describe only the fireworks display as it was a most unique experience.

There was an area cordoned off and well guarded by police. When I finally decided to ask, the policeman informed me that the fireworks would start in three minutes. Rarely is anyone that precise about start times here, but he was dead on. He also warned me to move back as the fireworks are "muy fuerte" (very strong). This turned out to be the understatement of the century. I was about 12 or 15 metres away, but should have been about 30 metres away. I have always had a certain appreciation for a little danger and thus chose not to move very far away. Each time the fireworks exploded, I was pounded by every shock wave and my eardrums experienced them as well. The air was rich with the smell of the burning chemicals. I loved the fireworks much more than usual as they were not just exploding above me, but all around me. I was hit by various wads of plastic and lots of sparks. Everyone around was enjoying themselves as much as I was and many were shouting, "¡Viva Mexico!" I guess it was like a combination of a huge party and the bombing of Dresden.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home