Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Tribute to Swan Lake

For those of the four of you that don't know, I used to volunteer at a nature sanctuary in Victoria. The full name is Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary. When I reflect on the many places I have worked over the years, to say that my time at Swan Lake stands out is an understatement. Because I helped teach the kid's programs, the people I worked most closely with were Ann (Scarfe) and Margaret, but everyone else at Swan Lake contributed to the inspiration I felt working there. By the way, if you are interested in knowing more about Swan Lake, here is a link to their website: http://www.swanlake.bc.ca/


One of the things I love about Swan Lake is that when any animal more remarkable than say, a mallard, shows up, everyone drops everything and goes to observe it. Even in the middle of school programs timed carefully to include many concepts and activities, we always managed to find time to check out a great horned owl, a hawk or a cougar*.

*OK, I made up that bit about the cougar, but my dark side is amused by the idea of taking a school group to view a cougar up close.

In case you haven't guessed, the pictures are a variety of nature shots taken here in Chiapas. They are meant to parallel the beauty of Swan Lake. Perhaps Swan Lake does not have waterfalls, but it is probably the biggest jewel in Victoria's crown.

This last one is for Willie who shared his fond memories of San Cristobal de Las Casas. Not that I doubted you at the time, Willie, but WOW, when you're right, you're right. San Cristobal is magnificent.

By the way, I look forward to seeing all of you when I return to Victoria. That will probably be sometime in July. I probably should have sent a postcard, but they seem so old school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home