Friday, March 23, 2007

Creatures in Puerto Arrista

I know my posts have become infrequent as of late. I have good excuses. I have been bogged down with the exam/report card process. I have been sick. I have had an overactive social life lately. And lastly I am still a workaholic. This latter excuse on its own would be enough.

Last weekend was a long weekend here in Mexico. I went with a friend to Puerto Arrista for a few days of relaxation with seafood and cervezas. Like my previous visit, Puerto Arrista did not disappoint.

We spent a lot of time in the water, mostly body surfing, of course (after a day or two, I stopped finding sand in my ears and water stopped pouring out of my nose when I put my head down). I suspect that I consumed my body weight in shrimp ceviche. Besides the usual activities though, there was something about the weekend that made it different. Creatures! It all started with an extremely low (roughly 0.000001 %) vacancy rate that resulted in the first day's stay being in a prison-like "cabaña rústica" (rustic cabin). I had never really thought of rustic as a selling point before. The very first visitor of note was a scorpion! I was rather disappointed that he didn't stick around long enough for a photo. My friend - not so much. There were cockroaches (cabaña rústica), geckos, lizards, ants and more. Almost as exciting as the scorpion were the marine animals. The beach was brought to a near standstill at one point as dolphins played in the waves. Pelicans coasted gracefully in formation over the waves looking for fish. Later, I spotted a shark's dorsal fin. Sadly, no one vanished leaving behind a dark pool of blood. That would have been exciting!

In case you are curious, after one night we were able to find clean, critter-free accomodations in a hospedaje right next to the beach. It wasn't an adventure, but air conditioning is nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home