Monday, December 25, 2006

Feliz Navidad from Guatemala, Tikal

Well there was no mistaking the moment Christmas began in Flores. At 12 midnight the fireworks started going off from I would say nearly every house in Flores and Santa Helena. The building next to us had a couple of pyromaniacs setting off all manners of fireworks most of which did not launch out of their mostly closed in area, hence they kept firing them down their hall and needing to run from the mess they created. OK, I was jealous; I'll admit it. Flores which is surrounded on three sides by Santa Helena and houses on the other shore of the lake was an unbelieveable sight. In every direction where there were homes, beautiful bursts of explosives filled the air. I wanted to be able to look in all directions at once. Suffice it to say sleeping was postponed considerably.

Tikal

Spending Christmas in Tikal was magical. The dizzying heights of the pyramids, the misty weather and the constant din of howler monkeys, parrots and a myriad of other animals created an atmosphere that was almost overwhelming. Fear of heights combined with some of the steepest ladder/stairs I have ever seen occasionally completed the overwhelming feeling, however I climbed every ruin that we were allowed to climb anyway. And I loved every minute of my time there (7 hours). Tikal is stunning as ruins. As a functioning city, it must have been on a level with Cairo and Rome. I always find myself wishing I could go back in time. Just to see ruins is not enough for me. The photo on the right is a view of the Gran Plaza.



Looking out of a temple window or door.






Bajar - Translated directly it means "down", "descending" or "go down down here", translated more accurately it means - "IF YOU MAKE ONE FALSE MOVE WHEN YOU GO DOWN THESE SHEER, SLIPPERY, NEARLY VERTICAL STAIRS, YOU WILL PLUMMET RAPIDLY TO YOUR DEATH EVEN THOUGH YOUR FALL WILL BE BE MOMENTARILY SLOWED BY YOUR VARIOUS EXTREMITIES IMPACTING THE WALLS OF THIS PYRAMID ON THE WAY DOWN! Have a pleasant day." (My Spanish is improving.)


Later when returning to Flores, I saw this man walking around with a sign that says "HUGS FREE". I figured he, of all people, would not mind my taking his picture. Of course, he smiled from ear to ear, posed for the picture and then gave me a hug.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mlle Way said...

It's funny how often we need to translate the Spanish at much more than face value, verdad?
Feliz Viaje y Nuevo Ano~

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home